Tag: fontainebleauView All Tags
Future Vegas / Construction / SLS Las Vegas / Resorts World Las Vegas / City of Rock / Frontier / Fontainebleau / → All Tags
The North Strip finally seems to be headed for the revival long imagined, but never realized. SLS Las Vegas, a re-imagined, renovated and renamed Sahara, will open its doors at midnight on August 23 following a $415 million transformation. But, what about the other elements now in play?
Across the Strip from SLS, MGM Resorts' $20 million City of Rock will debut with the US arrival of Rock in Rio in May 2015. The plan is for the outdoor festival grounds to host up to 12 (possibly 16) events a year, however, a representative has stated no other events are on the books right now beyond the mega-concert event.
It's the inevitable question when we talk about the quickly approaching debut of SLS Las Vegas, dreams for the All Net Arena and Resort, or even the coming construction of MGM's City of Rock and Genting's Resorts World. What about that blue hotel? Or, if you know your Vegas history, what about Fontainebleau?
On Friday, we told you how Sahara Las Vegas Corp., owners of the acreage that once hosted a Wet 'N' Wild, were seeking use permits for everything from a recreational facility and restaurants to a nightclub, offices, shops and even a grocery store. What we didn't know at the time is that this all seems to be connected to a December announcement by former NBA and UNLV basketball player Jackie Robinson in regards to a privately funded $1.3 billion All Net Arena and Resort project. The plan would install a 22,000-seat arena on the land (totaling 27 acres, in all) as well as a casino-less resort (which our eagle-eyed readers noticed was conspicuously absent from our list of permits on Friday). A VegasChatter tipster tells us he was told last month that the resort would be a 500-room luxury five-star hotel and spa and would stand 45 stories tall.
Snapshots / The High Roller / Palazzo / The Cosmopolitan / Elara / Stratosphere / Fontainebleau / Vegas Observations / → All Tags
The VegasChatter staff is super appreciative of resident shutterbug Greg Clarke and, hopefully, as a reader you are, too. Whether
bizzare bazaar construction updates or carefully planned before and after comparisons, the long reach of his lens has kept us all up-to-date while connected to the city's past. And, Las Vegas is full of personal perspectives. From Las Vegas Boulevard looking straight up at the glory of the Harmon Corner marquee, standing on a pedestrian bridge looking across at Cosmopolitan, staring out at the city lights from the Foundation Room, or from peering out of your pod while riding The High Roller, it's all spectacular. Even the latter examples provide multiple contexts, depending on the time of day or night. Well, Greg Clarke has once again pulled out his telephoto lens to provide yet another perspective that could otherwise be missed.
If you ever wondered what the Fontaine-Bust had planned to razzle dazzle us with a night, you're about to find out.
Being billed as a "fantastical blend of carnival and spectacle," ABSINTHE will take place under a big tent in Caesars' Roman Plaza. You may know it better as that usually empty expanse of cement over by Serendipity 3. And, for VegasChatter fans in NYC or Miami, yes, it's that ABSINTHE. For those who aren't familiar, here's a description from reps:
"Audiences will be treated to a night of imagination and excess with performances that will amaze and inspire. The cast of eccentrics will evoke thrills and chills as they perform amazing feats of virtuosity within mere feet of the audience surrounding the intimate stage. ABSINTHE takes audience members back to a place where the raw energy, talent and sensuality of performers from around the world tempt every sense imaginable."
The Fontainebleau Las Vegas in December 2009.
Those dreams of having iMacs in our Vegas hotel room at the Fontainebleau Las Vegas have officially been crushed. The long-stalled project in Vegas, which we've long dubbed "The Fontaine-bust", is now holding a fire sale, according to the New York Post.
All furniture that was bought for the hotel, on which construction was stopped when it was 70 percent complete, is now up for grabs. That includes "beds, dressers, TVs and other furnishings"--iMacs perhaps?
Fontainebleau / Hotels / Carl Icahn / Vegas Business / Fontaine-Bust / Hotel Construction / → All Tags
Finally some good news for The Fontainebleau, the half-finished resort next to Encore that has been struggling to find new financing. It turns out billionaire investor Carl Icahn is the winning bidder for the property, which developer Jeffrey Soffer drove into bankruptcy last year.
Yet, don't expect the hotel to open any time soon. The WSJ reports:
Mr. Icahn said in an interview that he hasn't determined whether or not he will slowly gear up to restart construction on the Fontainebleau, or keep it mothballed for some time. People familiar with the project say even that would be costly. They estimate that heating, cooling, security and taxes would run about $1.5 million to $2 million a month on the property Mr. Icahn said he doesn't believe he will be able to raise much financing for construction. His firm could finance the construction itself if it wanted to, he said.
Hotels / Fontainebleau / Fontaine-Bust / Fires / Survival Strategies / Tips / → All Tags
We hate to be a Debbie Downer but fires happen all the time in Las Vegas on the Strip. Most are small and rarely put anyone in danger. But some are big, like The Monte Carlo's fire in early 2008 and the tragic MGM Grand and Bally's fires in the 1980s.
For guests staying in these massive hotels with 1,000+ rooms, knowing your emergency escape route is important. Yet you'll also be glad to hear that the Las Vegas Fire Department is getting some extra training in the skeleton of the unfinished Fontainebleau Hotel, just south of Encore.
The Las Vegas Sun reports that new training drills are being conducted for the entire fire department inside the hotel with a full-scale simulated fire planned for November.
The last time this site checked in with the seemingly doomed Fontainebleau Las Vegas, they were filing for bankruptcy protection, and their CEO got the hell out of dodge, suing their former lenders for not staying the course...instead of staying the course. Even worse, the claim in court became even more clear (or convoluted, depending on how you see it): owner Jeffrey Soffer was suing his own project to essentially try to skirt the creditors' liens on his own project. Well, now we've got a new tip, and it appears it's only going to be worse.
The Fontainbleau, June 28, 2009.
There’s not much to tell as far as when or if the embattled Fontainebleau Las Vegas will ever open its doors. After all, in the last month or so, corporate employees have been laid off, its CEO flew the coop and it filed for bankruptcy protection. Call it Fontaine-bust instead.
Next week could bring some good news for the remaining Fontainebleau folks, however. That’s when they’re hoping to get a court date set for their lawsuit against their former lenders. Seems they (the lenders) nixed hundreds of millions of dollars in financing and, essentially, forced Fontainebleau into bankruptcy which pulled the plug on the resort’s progress.
There’s a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo for the lawyers on both sides to toss back and forth in the meantime, and there’s no saying the Florida judge who’s presiding over this kerfuffle will actually set the court date next week or sometime thereafter.
But we certainly have every reason to hope the matter gets resolved in Fontainebleau’s favor. It’s depressing to think that massive, multi-billion-dollar tower is just sitting there, vacant – especially when it stands to be such a showplace when it’s done. We’re keeping our fingers crossed and knocking wood for you, Fontainebleau. Courage.
The Fontainbleau Las Vegas looks a little more finished than this. But not much. For a more recent pic, go here.
After much back and forthing, the Fontainebleau Las Vegas has officially crapped out, with its owners filing for bankruptcy yesterday. Aside from depriving Vegas visitors of iMacs in their hotel rooms, the project's collapse will put thousands of people out of work. And it's not even all the way finished yet. According to a news report:
The company said in a news release that the decision to file Chapter 11 was the direct result of litigation with lenders on the Las Vegas hotel construction project that had to do with contractual disputes related to nearly $800 million in construction funding for the $2.9 billion resort-casino project, which is 70 percent complete.
Um...so now what? They can't just let it sit there unfinished, can they? We really hope the owners can secure some new financing soon. Until then, don't plan on making a reservation here next year.
[Photo: Nick Barlow]
Just when CityCenter got out of the woods of tough financing, it looks like the The Fontainebleau Las Vegas is the next one to go down. Yesterday the hotel's developers sued a group of major banks for canceling a crucial round of funding.
The lawsuit, which was first reported by the WSJ, deals with a lot of numbers about financing but the bottom line is that the Fontainebleau is going to need a major injection of cash if it wants to open in 2009 or even early 2010.
Additionally, stopping the project will put about 3,300 construction workers out of work as well as prevent nearly 6,000 hotel and casino jobs from being fulfilled. And forget about watching the giant LED-type display on the side of the building or accessing in the in-room iMacs.
However, we're still holding out for a hero here. The Fontainebleau has already lined up some amazing tables from great chefs and has plans for nearly nine bars and clubs, a Lapis Spa and an "avant-garde theatre production." It sounds almost like The Palms but classier. So we really want someone to save it.
[Photo: Nick Barlow]